Skip to main content

Disappointing Prayer


I wondered what gave birth to this wide smile that has invaded her entire beautiful face. My mind really wanted to wander, but I had to cage it and focus on the cause of the smile rather than the charming smile.

The last expression I saw from her face was that of a very bewildered and disappointed person. I could even say that she was angry. Here she is, in front of my desk in less than 24 hours smiling from east to west. Did her cheeks increase over night?

'Please, I want to know your God'. The statement excited me completely because I now understand why she was smiling. It means the prayer was answered and as much as I wasn't surprised, I was very grateful to God for showing up even after a disappointing prayer.

I could remember how she sat in front of my desk a day before and waited for me to finish my day's work before we moved to a restaurant where she insisted that she buy the drink. She bought two bottles of cold Mirinda, but she was too busy talking that she didn't have time to drink her own.

She explained how her parents agreed to marry her off to the son of an influential man in the church. Her Dad was adamant that she would marry this son who had expressed interest in her, but she wasn't willing to marry him.

'Today is Thursday and they are planning introduction on Saturday. I have tried all I could; I argued, fought, screamed and cried, but nothing changed. Even family and friends couldn't help'.

'I can't imagine my parents planning this kind of a thing in the 21st century and why are you sipping Mirinda in an unconcerned manner when I am sharing a big burden in my heart with you?'

I had to stop the drink for a while so that I would please her. It must have really been a pain for her, I thought. Then I asked, 'have you prayed?'. She replied with a gesture similar to someone that just played a penalty kick to throw-in- 'uncountable times, she replied'.

'Okay, let make it uncountable times plus one'. I stretched my hands towards her for her to hold, but she protested that we are in a public place where prayer would be a disturbance to others. 'You worry to much! Grab my hands and close your eyes'

'Good afternoon Jesus, ohh, there is no afternoon there, but we are actually around 5pm here. It's been about an hour since we spoke. What's going on in heaven? I believe everything is just as planned and sincerely, I cannot really wait to see all that goes on over there. Lord, I am in a restaurant with my friend from work and she bought a cold bottle of Mirinda for me. I am really enjoying it.

And Lord, she is really worried about the plans of her parents. She doesn't want to marry the son of that influential man in their church. She is really troubled and she wouldn't even drink her own Mirinda. The introduction is scheduled for Saturday. Please, cancel the whole plan so that my friend can be happy again. I would soon resume our discussion as soon as we leave the restaurant, amen'.

Then I opened my eyes and I saw her mouth opened so widely that could take a cherry. She shouted, 'what kind of a disappointing prayer is this?' Are you a child? Telling God about Mirinda. I was confused as she walked out of the restaurant very furiously. I sat back wondering why she behaved like that. I sat back feeling like an Arsenal fan. Anyway, I finished the two Mirinda drinks which I eventually had to pay for.

Now, she wants to know about my God. But I asked, 'tell me what happened first'. 'Well, God answered your disappointing prayer, she replied'.

Comments

Femi Omotayo said…
I like this... What a Father we have!
Quin Feh said…
It's the way the prayer was said that caught me.... Like such a easy and faith filled prayer

Popular posts from this blog

Oranmiyan (Part 3: Origin of Yoruba)

  Our journey will begin by identifying who the Yoruba people are. From the stories and relics of the children of the tribe, it is obvious that the projenitors of the tribe were deeply rooted in sorcery. Especially those who constitute the royal families. Their blood lines is soaked in idolatry, divination and sorcery. They know how to access principalities and powers and learn their worship modes. There are many stories about the origin of the Yoruba race. The Yoruba race has two major stories about their origin. One is supernatural. The other is natural The supernatural or divine one said that the supreme being, God, sent a god- Obatala to come and create the earth, but he got drunk and God had to send another god- Oduduwa. This is what some people hold. This school of thought has several loopholes chief of which is that Oduduwa entered Ile Ife in 11AD, but Ife Arts, according to carbon dating goes way back as 500BC which means that there was life in Ile Ife before Oduduwa came in. T

Oranmiyan (Part 4: Lamurudu vs Oduduwa)

After being forced out of his land, Lamurudu settled in Egypt for some time where he deepened his knowledge in sorcery. He learned several patterns of rituals which still exists in some parts of Ijebu today. At that time, the Egyptians have developed so well in the worship of their gods who were originally men. The concept of gods begins with a man encountering a demonic prince who is looking for obeisance from men. These princes have the same goal as Lucifer. Once they begin to get attention from a man, the man begins to take up their (dark) nature because it is a law in the spirit realm that whatever you behold, you become. The consecration of these men to the worship of the princes led to the reproduction of the abilities and characteristics of the prince in the man, so the man becomes great among other men. Most of these men takes up the name of the prince that they worship such that when the man dies, you can keep calling his name and the prince responds to your request thereby es

Oranmiyan (Part 5: The gods of Egypt)

During the sojourn of Lamurudu in Egypt, what was going on in Egypt at that time was similar to what happened in Genesis 6:1-2 where demonic entities found a way to reproduce themselves in women to establish a race of beings that were not fully humans. These creatures were very big that they were called Giants. They had 6 fingers and toes and unusual strength. Bible refer to them as Nephilims which means mysterious beings who are large and strong. Some other meanings called them fallen ones. They had supernatural abilities and they preyed on full humans. The situation was like what was portrayed in Harry Potter that had pure bloods, half bloods, mud bloods and muggles. The pure bloods were the witches whose both parents are also witches, half blood is a witch with one parent as witch, mud blood has both parents as normal people and muggles are non witches. At that time in Genesis 6, the Nephilims had created another race on earth that paralleled the pure humans. This what why God sent